Sunday, February 20, 2011

A Plate in the Bedroom?

A white bedroom such as this one really belongs to a beach house or cottage near the sea.It looks charming. The only critic I have here is the plate on the wall. Matching colours is wonderful and matching materials too and I think that the plate was meant to complement the lamp foot and vessel. But a plate as decoration is great for a kitchen or dining room but for a bedroom?

To be honest I were afraid of this thing falling into my face while I am taking a nap...


I'd prefer something lighter and still complementing the colours in this room above my bed - a painting such as this one: White Wall from the Reminiscences series, virtually framed into a wooden frame matching the rollo in the window.

original image source from My Home Ideas/ Southern Accents

You need to click on the photo in order to be able to see the intricate details...

"White Wall"
(from the Reminiscences series)
acrylic, 26" x 18"
©Petra Voegtle

The painting is called White Wall and is part of my Remininscences series, a painting series, that was created from my photo documentary about the Olympic Student Village in Munich, that has been torn down 2 years ago in order to be re-constructed.

In order to create a kind of memorial for the beautiful and often funnily painted walls which are now all lost I took hundreds of photos from the village. But this was not enough for me - I also decided to create a painting series from the most impressive and beautiful parts i.e. walls, doors and windows. The peeling paints and especially the marks all the vines left on the plaster created wonderful patterns and structures. There is an extra photo series only about these wall motifs which you will find here.
~

1 comment:

K&B by the Sea said...

I remember when you posted those photos that you took in the village. The buildings are so fascinating and full of character.

This is a wonderful painting. You really captured the age and patina of the wall :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...