Sunday, April 18, 2010

Dark Rooms

In the meanwhile I have seen a lot of images about interior design and one point really sticks out - many rooms are incredibly dark, especially hallways. I would like to know what the reason for this is. I could possibly understand this in geographical regions where sunlight is abundant but still I could not stand dark rooms, even less in areas where the winters are long and dark.

The design of this hallway is harmonious but very dark especially as the adjacent rooms seem to be dark as well unless this has been photographed in the evening but I doubt it. The illuminated graphics on the wall cannot really lighten this space up, the pottery - although wonderful - adds to the sinister feel I would have in this room.

In order to show how paintings can make a difference in similar rooms such as this one I added these silk paintings virtually, in order to add a bit of colour and another feeling to a dark room.

original image source from http://www.getdecorating.com


The two collages/paintings belong to the Magical Symbols series and are painted on silk. They are also stitched to add more texture.

"Minoans I and II"
(from the Magic Symbols series)
 

40" x 13" each, silk
©Petra Voegtle
~
If you would like to see details of these paintings, Minoans I and II please see this link and this link.

7 comments:

Raina Cox said...

Hello and thanks so much for stopping by La Lamp Shade today!

Raina Cox
If the Lamp Shade Fits

design traveller said...

Great idea, very useful. I like your choice of decoration elements as well.

Unknown said...

Raina - thank YOU for stopping by. I very much enjoy your blog since I found it shortly ago!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kind comment - design travellor!

design traveller said...

No problem. The simplest ideas are the best... and most difficult to come up with.

DesignTies said...

You can really see how art can make a space come alive in your second picture. The red really stands out and adds life and interest.

I think both light and dark colours work well in a home. Dark rooms can feel very warm and cozy :-)

Thanks for the link to the Greenpeace video. You're right, it does say it all.

Kelly

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for your comments, Kelly. You are right with dark rooms and I think that it's probably easier to make them warm and cozy. It would be much more difficult with white. But what about colours such as a warm yellow hue that brings the sun into the house.
Guess it's the region I am living in, where the winter is ugly - very long and wet and dark. That makes the soul weep...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...